Wednesday, October 23, 2013

The Deep South

The original plan was, in 4.5 days, to drive from Dallas to Atlanta, with a stop in New Orleans to enjoy the US deep South...geee 14 hours drive.. ok, boring (I'll drive all the route..), but doable... and wait, I want also to visit Memphis, and Graceland, with the famous house from Elvis... The driving time climbed to 19 hours... it was really becoming hard to fit in such a short time...

View Larger Map
Original program
Anyway, my flights are booked, I don't have the choice... Locationdevoiture.fr 's 5% discount in the pocket (cf earlier post), I've confirmed a Dodge Grand Caravan (once the 5 back seats are folded, there is a fully flat area on which I will sleep, saving on the hotels)
The American Dream ?
What is this in the confirmation email... ? 300 USD one way fee?? ok, let's find a cheaper solution...having a 100 USD one way fee on a shorter distance, I've tried several combinations) for the price difference I've booked with SouthWest Airlines (really the guys who invented the Low Cost model cf wiki), I've selected a Dallas Love Field (there are only 2 hours between the flights, and I need to change airport... yes, I like challenges :) ) to New Orleans, I will rent the car there, and drop it off in Memphis (after stops in Natchez, Vicksburg and Hot Springs), to board a plane to Atlanta via Houston... (I've hesitated to fly to ATL via Chicago Midway or Denver...)

Awesome news (Ryanair and other European LCCs: read this and learn...) Southwest offer 2 FREE checked bags... no fee to check in, no fee to change your flight... and I had to amend one of the two flights, the new flight selection was cheaper, I've been REFUNDED of the 10 USD difference by Southwest...)

Here is the outcome
Final Deep South Program

Note : When you book your car in a large US chain, take the time to register to the loyalty program of the car rental company, it will save you a lot of time at the pickup counter: last April, when arriving in LAX, the queue at prepaid vouchers counter in the Dollar Agency lasted more than 25 minutes...


No comments:

Post a Comment